

COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING Minutes 2/23/2021 oc4hcountycouncil@gmail.com

https://ucanr.zoom.us/rec/share/yymDWjuZpQRyD0oUVsFfRfScjFhsoSQk8aJ-9skKoL8tD6TH8NDO_YQWs0uhrm7_EqJprLIZt--xZd
use the passcode: zKV93^n!

Attendance: Rita Jakel, Brian Montes, Sandy Jacobs, Beverly Schrieber, Allison Kari, Helen Chen, Jaimee Rojas, Jillian Book, Maddy M, Roberta Garcia, Gina Montes, Rachel Horn, Serafina M, Wes Alcott, Niki Miller, Liz Broadbent, Rachel Horn, Heather Hernandez, Joanna Kuehn, Jan Tubbiola.

Opening - Call to Order: President, Brian Montes, called the meeting to order at 7:06 p.m.

Pledges: Maddy M led the Pledge to the American Flag and the 4-H Pledge.

Review Minutes and Motion for Approval: A **Motion** to approve the minutes was made by Liz Broadbent, seconded by Jaimee Rojas and passed.

Treasurer's Financial Report : Our new Treasurer, Roberta Garcia, reported that there wasn't any activity for our checking account. Our February, balance was \$34,623.38, We had one check cashed for \$97.70. We had a deposit of \$1,050.00. We had another deposit of \$654.00. We had another deposit of \$100.00, which brought our February balance, as of February 19th, to \$36,329.68. In our Savings Account, our beginning balance was \$33,113.39. Our interest earned was 28 cents, which brought our balance to \$33,113.67. A **motion** to accept the Treasurer's Report as given was made by Niki Miller, seconded by Sandy Jacobs and passed.

New Business Discussion:

Forever 4-H Endowment: Brian spoke about the presentation on the Forever 4-H Endowment which Rita brought to our attention. We presented it to countywide in January. The funds from this will go into the general operating county 4-H budget. We will budget to individual items. The Finance Committee and the Board can decide. Rita said that it is unrestricted. The Orange county Farm Bureau is considering their stewardship for the coming year and we proposed the Foundation to them. They have a two-year plan, where this year, they will match the funds we put into the endowment and next year, they will put an equal amount into the endowment. The rest of the donation that they would give, will go to the county to the youth office staff account. Rita and Brian had a meeting with Darren a week or two ago and the plan that if we get approval from County Council, to move forward with seeding this endowment, we will not touch the funds for five years. The principal needs to build. The endowment spins off about 4.5% a year. At \$100,000.00 principal, Orange County's going to see about \$4500.00 a year coming into the budget. It's forever. If we can build that principle even higher, the dividend that spins off annually is even larger. We will need to do fundraising. Four counties are participating at the moment. A **motion** to take \$15,000.00 from the Savings Account and move it into the Forever 4-H Endowment was made by Jaimee Rojas, seconded by Serafina M. and passed.

Drone Project Budget Allocation: Brian said that we are going to be starting the drone project in March. We do want to underwrite it through Orange County 4-H, since it's going to be a countywide project. We've been able to get the cost down. There are going to be a lot of expensive drones that the 4-H kids will be able to fly, plus some materials. We've been able to whittle the cost down. He asked for budget allocation tonight for \$30 for each person. Right now I'm anticipating that in our first round we're going to end up with about 20 4 H Members taking the course, which would be an \$800.00 budget allocation. A **motion** to underwrite this Drone project with \$800.00 from the checking account was made by Beverly Schrieber, seconded by Niki Miller and passed.

Ag Days: Rita and Brian are working on AG Days.

Bring a Friend Proposal: Allison Kari said she has to start by saying that Sandy Jacobs gave her this idea because last month, she just made a comment that she loves to see everyone's face here at County Council meeting and I totally agree with her. I love to see everyone's face here, but then I got to thinking and I said I'd also like to see some new faces as well. What I asked for the board and for you guys is to make March the County Council "Bring a Friend Month". What I'm asking is that everyone should find someone who is active in your club, (we have some great families that are active in your club, but maybe they haven't made it to County Council yet) and invite them to County Council and see what it's like, see what goes on at county council, and just really get to know how great these County Council meetings are. The Council, the board and our Great coordinator really are the backbone of the program. Everyone, bring someone. We're going to have a 4-H trivia game, and there will be prizes. Tell the other people that you know that usually come to County Council to have them bring a friend also. Next month, we should have a great meeting.

Orange County Fair Board: Meeting set for Thursday, February 25th at 9 AM - <https://ocfair.com/publicmeetings/board-of-directors-meeting-february-25-2021/>

Brian Montes and Wes Alcott may attend the meeting and have people come to advocate for the animal projects and help speak for the 4-H livestock kids. Brian put the link here for everybody, so if you're interested in attending that meeting and advocating for the livestock aspect of the OC Fair. We will take all the help we can get. Otherwise, these kids might lose out on another year.

Countywide Project Updates:

Citizen Science: Rita said that they had their second meeting this Saturday a.m. We've been working with the scientists and Cal Naturalist and the IPM Integrated Pest Management. They're providing some resources for us. Every kid in the project is going

to get a kit containing, a chisel, all the things needed, hand sanitizer to clean it, a field guide, a tote bag, or something that they can carry with them when they're out in the field, or a bucket to carry all the materials. That will be coming up in March or April. They will have some fieldwork where they're actually in the field with the scientists and looking at some trees that have the shot hole borer. It's coming along. It's a pretty good opportunity.

Cloverbuds: Allison Kari reported that they have been having so much fun. We just had our February meeting and we're a little ahead on holidays. We did our St. Patrick's Day Celebration, and we made some leprechaun traps. We're getting a couple new kids each meeting and it sounds like, from word of mouth, everything's going really well. We're having a great time doing it. We have some fantastic teen and junior leaders that are really stepping up and doing a lot of good things for the kids.

Community Service: Serafina M. said that they met last night for the February meeting and the Ambassadors actually came and did a really nice presentation. We, the County Ambassadors, lead the letter writing activity. We wrote letters to either heroes, service men and women or a leader. We just taught the kids how to format their letters and ideas of WHO to write to. They spent the rest of the time writing their letters and I thought it was really fun just to see all the kids writing their letters and teaching them letter writing skills because that's an art that not many people use nowadays.

Computer Science: Rita said that they had their meeting last week. We delivered the little mini robots the Spheros to everyone that's in the program. They had a blast. Starting next month there be a series of months on Python coding, (a little more advanced coding). We also represented the County at the Computer Science Pathways Communities. We have to do a presentation on what our project is doing. They are all impressed with the stuff we have going on. We also are planning to have some hour of code events, during spring break or during the summer or both to offer one hour jump on learn a little bit of coding kind of opportunity for the kids countywide.

Dance: Rita said the dance project had a make-up meeting for the youth who signed on at the last minute as new folks. The next meeting is March 9th from 7:30 to 8:30 and they're moving into more of the technical parts of dance and the safety of learning to dance at home. They learn appreciation of dance by watching performances.

Reports:

Teen Council Update: None

County Ambassador Reports: Serafina M. said that they're meeting with Mr. Arnold on March 8th, in the evening. They're going to show their jackets, since he paid for the jackets and embroidery, and they're going to give him an update on what the ambassadors are doing.

T-shirt update: Brian said that we ordered the shirts. We got the shirt vendor approved. It came through in late January. We got the shirts ordered and I think we're probably looking at about two or three more weeks till they get delivered. Rita said that we'd like to do a drive through event, where families can just drive up and pick up your shirts as soon as they come in - maybe late March.

Committee Updates:

Nomination Committee: Allison Kari and Liz Broadbent - Allison said that this year, we need nominations for our President and our recording Secretary. You can look at the bylaws for a description of duties. Nominations are going to be due next month at the March meeting. The candidates will be announced at the April meeting and we'll get some bios out and then we'll vote in May. 4-H is a great organization. Talk to the people you know would be good in the positions. Get them nominated. You can also nominate yourself, of course, and just take the responsibility. We all love 4-H and we love to see the benefit that it gives to our kids. This is a great way to step up and help out. E-mail Allison or Liz if you have any questions. Next month when we do our "Bring a friend" I'm hoping that will get people to see about County Council and have more people come and hopefully get more people involved and get new people on the board this year.

Record Book Committee: Chair Allison Kari said that the first thing that she wants to do is welcome our new member of our Record Book Committee, Helen Chen. She's here tonight. We're so happy that she is going to be part of our Record Book Committee. At our last 2 workshops we did, all went really well. We are going to continue making videos about how to do a record book with the new forms. The last workshop was supposed to be this Saturday and we're going to postpone that date. We had some tough news. We had one Leader step down. We have a Co-leader for that project, but at this time we don't have a head leader, so if anyone is interested or anyone to help out with that, please let us know, so that we can continue. The Leader that did it was fantastic and he did a combination of a public speaking and a record book project that was really helpful. We're looking for someone to help out with that as well. Rita said we're thinking that it might be advisable to transition to a Countywide Record Book Project for the future, so that kids in all clubs have an opportunity to get guidance that they need for the record books. The thought is to make it more available and accessible.

Scholarship Committee: Chair, Sandy Jacobs, said the scholarship committee has received several applications, and we are meeting next Monday to review them.

Incentives & Recognitions Committee: Rita said that our committee had a meeting this week. We are working on finalizing the yearly plan for incentives and recognitions that includes every pin, ribbon, patch, that kids can earn and what the criteria are. We're consolidating it all from the state website into a yearly plan, rather than just being laid out on the website and making it clear, whose responsibility it is to pay for items. We'll work on how we're going to have a budget. We're just about ready. We hope to debut at the March meeting.

Leadership development: Rita would like to have some contributions for preparing the trainings in the fall, because that's part of the job of this committee and, rather than having to bear the whole burden on my own. The input of what people would like to have in the trainings would be very helpful. We may have some of our older Youth Members involved in that process too. I would like to have a call for that maybe if we could, at some point to get some people to work on that committee for that purpose, specifically.

Outreach and Marketing Committee: Rita also said that we really need to do the Outreach and Marketing Committee now and really pull that together. We need to have some people on and some chairs because we really need to move forward. As we start to open up more and can have access to more things, and our numbers grow, we really need to get out there to get the word about 4-H out.

4-H Event Updates:

Food Fiesta Recap: (Feb 13) – Chair, Sandy Jacobs, said that they had a total of 16 participants, we had five for cupcake wars and 11 for the "How to" video on February 13th. She had a slide show to share with us. It was great. Thanks, Sandy.

Fashion Revue: (April 24th) – Chair Heather Hernandez - None - Information is on the county website.

Presentation Day :(March 6, 2021) – Chair, Wes Alcott, said that we've actually had really good response on Presentation Day. We have 33 people as of right now. We did go ahead and close registration at this point. With it being virtual, we really have to schedule everybody and get it all figured out. We do need a lot of volunteers. We're looking for judges; actually, people that are fingerprinted - Leaders - Volunteers that have gone through the whole process of fingerprinting. In each room with the kids you have to treat it just like you would in person. I can't have random judges without an actual volunteer, credentialed, so to speak, volunteer in the room. I will need assistance with this. If you're going to be there anyway, you might as well judge. We're going to be breaking out in the next couple days and break down the schedule and everything and will be emailing the schedule to everybody and make sure it's working. Other counties broke it down into a couple days. Depending on the kids, I still think we can probably make this happen all in one day. We're going to get them kind of fine-tuned, figure out what we need, based on the volunteers. It's all done through resumes. We're going to have different room setup for all the different volunteers and schedule everybody. Volunteer training time will be virtual with a form that you'll fill out. This form is actually sent back automatically to me and tabulated for me. It's actually a pretty good setup that the State put together. Film Festival - We've got just one entry, so that remains open until Feb. 28th. Given all the stuff that you did, Sandy, I think we might have to do a food category next year, like cooking. It looks like we have about nine different competitions that people signed up for so we'll need, ideally 18 judges and if some of them aren't fingerprinted will need that extra person in each room. Last year I was able to utilize a bunch of AG teachers. This year that actually coincides with an Ag Conference that they have on that Saturday, so we won't have them as volunteers and I won't have my kids either.

Fair & Imaginology Committee: Chair Maryam Handley - Not here - Rita talked with the Shannon today f and they're willing to host an open house for us. Their tech people will work with us on what kind of format we want, like a Facebook live or something like that however we want to handle it. I don't have a lot of experience with all that stuff, so I would need some volunteers to help out with that. We could do a slide show like what's needed for food fiesta and have those posted on the Fair website so people can see what kids do and all about 4-H. Sandy spoke a little about Virtualogy. Maryam had mentioned that the Fair wanted things by March 1. Sandy suggested 3 things - ask leaders for snippets of what 4-H means to them - Use Jaz's video - Use the Food Fiesta Presentation.

Clover-Joved Spring Recognition Event: (June 19th) – Need a Chair!

Club Updates: Review of the projects each club plans to offer this year:

Fountain Valley Cloverdales : Maddy M said that they have decided that, since our club doesn't have that many Members, we're going to be having our March meeting in person.

Fullerton Feeders, Breeders & Seeders: Liz Broadbent said they had a February meeting and the kids collected enough headphones for Community Services that they donated to Hermosa School. They donated about 40 of them and had 40 left over. We're giving 22 to Mesa Junior High and 22 to Troy High School. For our little dinky club we're small but mighty. The parents and kids really stepped in and helped make that service activity a success. We're still working on activities that they would like to do as a club. Our projects are rolling along. The horse program in the state level has taken off like a wildfire. We had public speaking last weekend, March 13th. State is virtual. Normally it's held in northern California, so now our kids actually from Southern California get to go and listen to what's going on. In May we have Hippology and the end of June, we have the state classic. Niki Miller said that crochet club is going to be entering into virtualogy. Improv is going to be going to Presentation Day and presenting impromptu speeches. One of our members participated in the Arabian horses hippology.

Fullerton Hills: Wes Alcott said that there isn't much to report because their meeting is tomorrow.

Jordan Jaguars: none

La Habra Hilltoppers: Brian said that they had a good Community Service meeting.

Lake Forest Superstars: None

Mesa Goathill Gogetters: Allison reported that they had their February general meeting and all of our project meetings are going along really well. At our General Meeting, we got to congratulate all of our Food Fiesta participants. We were very proud of all them because a lot of our club participated. We were really happy that they did and got to honor them. We have a couple new projects starting in March. Serafina M. said that the Cake Decorating will be Monday, March 1st from 3:30 to 4:30 pm and then the Lego Project, which will be led by her brother, Nicholas and Serafina, is going to be from 4:30 to 5:30 pm. We're going to do every Monday in March. Serafina also shared that she and Michaela used the icebreaker game we played during virtual summer camp - the scavenger hunts. James lead the snacks shake that Rita made. Everyone loved that. We also did some trivia combined with some St. Patrick's Day trivia for the month of March.

Orange Acres Backbreakers: Jaimee Rojas reported that their goal was to try to get more Members to attend the meeting. She did a video newsletter so that she could put a face to the messages coming across. A couple of people that we were not seeing at

our general meetings, were going to their project meetings. We wanted to encourage more participation at the club level. That worked a little bit. We are wrapping up a fundraiser this month that we did in our local restaurant here in Orange. They did it for the whole month of February, donating 20% to those people who brought in a flyer. We'll see at the end of month how much the fundraiser brought in. All of our projects are going. We're starting a poultry project meeting this month. We have our swine, market goats, rabbits and caviar projects meeting. We are starting up our Vet Science meetings in March. For a few meetings one of our leaders was out with some family emergencies. She was able to put together a few meetings for the kids at the end of this year. We're just waiting to hear about Orange County Fair. My daughter participated in the Chico State Field Day for lambs and goats. We're trying to continue to be active, even if there's not a lot of shows and learning.

Orange Villa Buckaroos:None

Trabuco Trailblazers: None

Tri-Cities: none

Yorba Linda Cloverleaf: Rachel Horn reported that they've had a couple of our monthly meetings are still via zoom. We have had a couple of projects meeting live - caviar, poultry, archery, gardening, steers and arts (probably starting up in the month of March). Vet Science still meeting via zoom. The rest of our livestock haven't started yet, but we'll be starting in late March early April.

DSAOC Superkids: None

County 4-H Program Representative Reports & Updates: Rita spoke on Enrollment update - GroundSwell Update - Mobile App Will Improve User Experience - 4-H Marketing in a pandemic! - Action Items - Events - 5-minute Reflection - The Hallmarks - How are you Nurturing Youth-Driven Leadership? - Are you conscious of building Youth-Adult Partnerships - Some upcoming opportunities - Links were put in the Chat and will be sent out by Rita later this week.

Flowers: Gina Montes sent Flowers from County Council to Karen Pascoe and family because her husband, Jim Pascoe passed. Liz Broadbent said that Susan Yarros and Karen Pascoe kept Food Fiesta going for years. Sandy said that it was a pleasure for her to work with Karen.

Adjournment : 8:19 p.m.

Next Executive Board Meeting – Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 7:00 PM (Virtual)

Next Orange County 4-H Meeting – Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 7 PM

Respectfully Submitted by

Beverly Schrieber, Secretary